Laptop Use & Checkout Policy
Policy Updated: June 2017
Laptops are available for check-out to current UT Dallas students, faculty, and staff. Check out a laptop from the Multimedia Desk using a valid Comet Card. Library fines must be paid before you can check out a laptop, and a current Laptop Agreement form must be on file. Laptops cannot be reserved in advance.
Laptops can be checked out for up to 3 days at a time. Laptops are not available for renewal, though another laptop may be checked out if available. Laptops incur late fines of $10 per day, with a $50 maximum fine.
- The library is not responsible for files left on a laptop by customers. Documents should be saved to a flash drive, e-mailed, or printed. Documents saved to a laptop’s hard drive will be automatically deleted when the laptop is powered off or rebooted.
- Patrons are financially responsible for laptops and laptop accessories that are damaged, lost, or stolen. Replacement fees of up to $1000 will be assessed along with processing/overdue fines.
- Never leave a laptop unattended.
- Laptop use is for academic purposes only.
- Currently, laptops only have on-campus access to the UT Dallas network. This means that laptops can be taken out of the library but cannot be logged into from off-campus.
- Laptops may not be placed in book drops. They must be returned in person and handed to a library staff member at either the Multimedia or Services desk.
- Report any computer malfunctions to library staff at the time the laptop is returned.
Printing From Laptops
- Email [email protected] (for black & white prints) or [email protected] with your letter sized (8.5 x 11) attachments using your UTD email.
- First time users must register your UTD email. Follow the instructions on the email you receive after the initial email you send.
- Wait for a confirmation email stating that your print job has been sent to a kiosk.
- Go to the library Copy Center and swipe your Comet Card at a black & white or color printer.
- Select the job you wish to print
- Press the START button
Current UTD students, faculty, and staff must have a valid Comet Card present in order to print.
See Adding Money to Your Card below for options in adding funds to your Comet Card. You cannot use cash for printing.
Applications Available on Laptops
|Adobe Reader 9||Internet Explorer 8||I-Tunes||JCreator LE|
|Java 6.022||Matlab 2009||McAfee SiteAdvisor Enterprise||Mozilla Firefox 3.6|
|MS Access 2010||MS Excel 2010||MS Office Tools 2010||MS PowerPoint 2010|
|MS Publisher 2010||MS Word 2010||Power DVD||Pharos|
|Share Point||Windows DVD Maker||Windows Media Player||Win Sp|
|CDs, DVDs, and Blu-Rays||14 days||$1.00/day||$50|