Employment Verification & Records


Verification of Employment

The University of Texas at Dallas uses The Work Number from Equifax for all requests for employment and salary verification.

What is the Work Number?

The Work number allows a simple, secure and private way to get verification of your employment and income information to Verifiers when needed, 24 hours a day/7 days a week. This means transactions that happen outside of normal business hours and/or weekends that require employment or salary verification can be done immediately.

Who can utilize The Work Number?

Faculty, Staff and Student Employees.

What information should employees provide to verifier?

Instruct the verifier to go to www.theworknumber.com and provide them with the employer code 20838.

Who is considered a verifier?

Any lending institution, property manager, government agency or other organization with a permissible purpose to verify employment, or income of an employee.

What is the Employer Code?

This code identifies our organization with The Work Number. It can be searched by typing in our company name or you can use the employer code 20838 to access The Work Number.

Can the employee pull their own verification?

No, the employee is not able to pull their verification because the verifier wants that information to come directly from the employer. While the employee is unable to generate their own verification, they can view their data on The Work Number via the Employment Data Report. The report is accessible to the employee through www.theworknumber.com or by calling the ERD Request Line at 800-424-0253.

How can the employee or verifier get help if needed?

Employees and verifiers (including mortgage lenders, property leasing, financial institutions, a government agency, etc.) can contact The Work Number’s Customer Service Group:

Social Services Verification

Social Services Verifications are used in determining benefits eligibility for government-sponsored health and welfare programs such as SNAP [Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program] , TANF [Temporary Assistance for Needy Families] , Medicaid, subsidized housing, etc.

As with commercial Verifiers (mortgage, pre-employment, financial services, etc.), social service agencies should be directed to www.theworknumber.com to fulfill their verification needs. The website will instruct them on how to register to use the service. Once they are credentialed, they can use the same automated process that commercial Verifiers use to perform instant verifications of employment and income.

Immigration Verification Letter

Employees who need to have their employment and salary verified for immigration purposed can obtain this information using The Work Number. Please log on to www.theworknumber.com and create an account or contact them at 800-367-2884, M-F, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. (CT).

Special Requests

Special letter request for purposes other than those listed above will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please contact the Office of Human Resources (OHR [Office of Human Resources] ) directly by –

Access to Employment Records

Employees may review their employment records in the Office of Human Resources (OHR [Office of Human Resources] ) during normal business hours. You will need to schedule an appointment with your Employee Relations Representative. Please be prepared to present a valid photo ID for identification verification purposes.

Records Request

Employees (or their designated representative) may review their personnel file in the Office of Human Resources (OHR [Office of Human Resources] ) during normal business hours. Please contact your Employee Relations Representative to schedule an appointment.

When only inspection is requested (i.e., no copies made) no charge will be assessed.

  1. It is the policy of the University to recover the full costs for retrieving and copying public records, including personnel files. Employees will be assessed charges in accordance with guidelines set forth in UT System Administration Policy UTS 139, Texas Public Information Act.
  2. All other inquiries about and requests for employee records shall be directed to the Office of Legal Affairs as a Public Information Request. If it is determined that the personnel file of an employee may contain information excepted from disclosure under the Texas Public Information Act, the Office of Legal Affairs should be informed immediately.
  3. Any University official or employee receiving inquiries or requests for personnel records or information concerning employees of the University should forward the request immediately to the University's Office of Legal Affairs.
  4. Procedures for handling record requests shall be in accordance with UT System Administration Policy UTS 139, Texas Public Information Act