University Housing

Frequently Asked Questions

Housing Agreement

What are the dates of my housing agreement?
All housing agreements are for the full 2018-19 academic year.

Moving In

What should I bring?

  • Alarm clock
  • Bed sheets
    • The University Commons residence halls have Twin XL beds
    • Canyon Creek Heights North has Twin XL beds
    • Canyon Creek Heights South has full-sized beds
  • Cleaning supplies (toilet cleaner, laundry detergent, dish detergent, etc.)
  • Computer or laptop
  • First aid kit
  • Plunger
  • Shower curtain/liner
  • Small tool kit (screwdriver, hammer, a selection of nails and screws, etc.)
  • Toilet paper
  • Toiletries
  • Towels

University Village and Canyon Creek Heights apartment residents should bring kitchen supplies (pots, pans, plates, utensils, can openers, grocery & pantry items, etc.)

University Village apartment residents should also bring furniture (bed, couch, dining table, etc.)

Are vehicles allowed on campus?
Residents may bring a vehicle to campus. Parking decals are required and may be purchased from the parking office. University Village and Universtiy Commons have designated parking locations. Visit the parking website for more information.

Rent Payments

How do I pay my rent?
All University Housing charges are placed on the resident’s University bill and are paid through the Bursar. Please contact the Bursar for questions about your bill or payments.

Living on Campus

How do I get assistance after hours?
Please contact a Peer Advisor, one of the Peer Advisors on call, or one of University Commons' 24-hour front desks.

If a student wants/needs help with any kind of emotional distress after hours, they can call the Counseling Center's after hours helpline; "UTD TALK" 972-883-8255.

Will I have access to all clubhouses, pools and study rooms?
Yes, residents have access to all clubhouses, pools, and study centers in the housing community.

What dining options are available?
Visit the dining website for information about dining on campus.

What security measures are in place?
UT Dallas Police provide frequent patrols throughout University Housing. University Housing management does not assume any legal obligations for personal injury, loss, or damage to personal property. You and/or your parents are encouraged to carry appropriate insurance to cover such losses.

Anyone with a cell phone can register via Galaxy to receive text alerts in the event of an emergency or disruption to normal University operations.

For sexual assault emergencies after business hours, please call the 24-hour rape crisis hotline at 972-641-7273. You will be connected with a sexual assault advocate from the Dallas Area Rape Crisis Center.

Missing Residential Student Policy
The purpose of this policy is to establish procedures for the University's response to reports of missing residential students as required by the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008. This policy applies to all students who live in University Housing. Download the Missing Residential Student Form (pdf).

Living with a Roomate

I am having issues with my roommate. What do I do?
Talk to your roomate about the issues you are experiencing. If nothing is resolved after speaking to your roommate face-to-face, speak with your Peer Advisor.

What is a roommate agreement?
A roommate agreement is a document all members of the apartment/suite/room abide by during their time living in the space. Contents of the agreement are determined by the roommates and cover multiple areas, including cleaning tasks, taking out the trash and guest policies.

How do I set up a roommate agreement?
At the beginning of each academic year, Peer Advisors will coordinate with residents to complete a roommate agreement for the apartment/suite/room. If a new resident moves in, Peer Advisors will work with the student to set up or reevaluate the roommate agreement as necessary.

Getting Involved

How can I get involved in University Housing?
Residential Life sponsors two student organizations in University Housing:

Both organizations provide students with leadership opportunities in the residence halls and apartments.

How can I become a Peer Advisor (PA)?
The Peer Advisor application process begins at the end of the fall semester, with applications due in January. If you are interested in becoming a PA, contact [email protected] or "Like" our Interested in Being a PA? Facebook page for details.

Disability/Medical Accommodations

How do I request a housing accommodation based on documented disabilities or medical conditions?
UT Dallas provides reasonable housing accommodations to students with documented disabilities or medical conditions. If you have a disability and want to request housing accommodations please visit the Office of Student AccessAbility website. Students are strongly encouraged to apply prior to the April 15 priority deadline.

Room Reservations

How does a student organization reserve a room in University Housing?
Registered student organizations can reserve the Residence Hall South classroom and the Residence Hall South Multipurpose Room. Student organizations must make the reservation through the UT Dallas Room Reservation System.

How does a student reserve a room in University Commons?
Students may reserve a room in the residence hall they reside in. Contact Caitlin Wright to make the reservation.

How does a department reserve a room in University Housing?
Departments can make a room reservation by contacting Caitlin Wright.

Still Need Help?

Do you have other questions? Visit our Contact Us page for assistance.